- Urgent appeal
- How to help
- CAGE in the media
1) Urgent Appeal by CAGE
By the grace of Allah, CAGE has been able to operate without banking facilities for over 21 months. It has not been easy. We have been literally operating month to month on diminished and limited resources.
In this time, we have come under intense pressure and scrutiny from the media, from politicians and from the legal system. But we are still standing with your support alhamdulillah.
Despite all efforts by our detractors, CAGE is busier now than it has ever been. We are dealing with a huge increase in cases of PREVENT harassment, anti-terror raids and arrests, individuals being detained or tortured and more.
CAGE urgently requires your financial support.
We will not allow CAGE to fall.
We need you to #keepCAGEgoing
TARGET: £250, 000
TIME: 2 months
2) How to help
- DONATE TODAY: Use this IGiveOnline link to donate as much as you can, it will only take a few minutes and you can use your bank card.
- DOWNLOAD our “FUNDRAISE FOR CAGE TOOLKIT” here for more creative fundraising ideas.
- RAISE FUNDS FOR CAGE: Begin fundraising for us by organising events, sponsored challenges and more. You can set up your own I Give Online page and link it to our account. It’s super easy! Just follow the instructions below:
- Go to https://www.igiveonline.com/register/ and register your details.
- Once you have registered click on this link https://www.igiveonline.com/submit/ to start a campaign.
- Give your campaign a title and include the word ‘CAGE’.
- When selecting the ‘tags’ make sure you only select CAGE- This is very important as it means that I Give Online knows that the money from this fundraising page is for CAGE.
- Once you have submitted the page and it is approved by I Give Online, send us the link so we can promote it on our social media.
We can provide you with all the resources you need to get you started. Email us on email@example.com receive a fundraising toolkit filled with ideas on how to begin, buckets, t-shirts, and appeal graphics that you can use on social media to promote the campaign.
How will my fundraising help?
Your assistance will help CAGE to continue the important work it is doing. We are the only organisation assisting the community in this manner and our work is crucial in telling the stories of survivors and highlighting human rights abuses.
Your support will help to protect individuals and families at risk of criminalisation through anti-terror legislation. Your funds will help to give a voice to and tell the stories of ordinary people that are affected by oppressive policies.
Your donations will go towards instilling courage and ‘izzah in a community that is often fearful and intimidated. Your contributions will help CAGE to defend the rights of the most marginalised in our community who often have no other organisation to come to their defence.
Your fundraising will help to advocate for the rule of law and access to due process for all.
Can I really fundraise effectively?
Of course you can. Many of our supporters have fundraised for us in the past and raised up to £5000 in just one event. It has been our supporters who have continued to fund us and help us to continue our work, the Muslim community in particular support our work and want to donate, by fundraising you will be providing a means for them to do so.
Why does CAGE still not have a bank account?
We have continued to make applications for banking facilities however have not been successful since our accounts were closed in March 2014. We are exploring all avenues in an attempt to secure a new bank account. Read more about this here and here.
Can CAGE receive Zakah?
Part of the work CAGE does relates to prisoners, helping to release captives is an Islamic obligation that very few organisations are fulfilling. Any money we collect in Zakah is restricted to matters which directly benefit prisoners’ cases. Zakah funds are not spent towards any administrative or overhead costs that are incurred by CAGE.
Is it safe to raise money for CAGE?
Yes of course it is. There has never been an issue to support or fundraise for CAGE. This was confirmed recently, in our case against the Charity Commission. Lord Chief Justice Thomas sitting in the High Court pronounced that the Commission had been ‘high-handed’ in their approach to CAGE and the charities who wanted to fund CAGE; and also that the Commission had no power to permanently ban any charity from funding a given cause. Read this article in the Guardian for more information.
And see here a copy of the high court judgement in favour of CAGE:
Does CAGE receive grants or funding from the government?
CAGE does not and has never received funding from the government or any government body. CAGE is an independent advocacy organisation not afraid to hold those in power to account, thus we would never want our work to be compromised based on funding. It has been our supporters in the community who have continuously supporting us and donating and it has been through this that we have been able to continue our work.
4) CAGE in the media:
- The advocacy group CAGE has done the charity sector a service http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/advocacy-group-cage-done-charity-sector-service/article/1358396
- Apologists for terror or defenders of human rights? The Cage controversy in contexthttps://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/tom-mills-narzanin-massoumi-david-miller/apologists-for-terror-or-defenders-of-human-righ
- Cage: Important human rights group or apologists for terror? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31657333
- Cage: the campaigners put in the spotlight by Mohammed Emwazihttp://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/26/cage-campaigners-put-under-spotlight-mohammed-emwazi-jihadi-john
“I did not know where to turn when my house was raided, except to CAGE. Their doors were always opened for advice. They did a lot to reassure me and my family.They gave us confidence to go through this. Their help was priceless.” Abdur Rahman, Raid victim.
“Alhamdulillah, CAGE’s support and advice was very beneficial to me. It’s great to know that there is an organisation out there watching your back, especially since most are scared when it comes to these issues.”Abdullah – Arrested under anti-terrorism legislation.
“This is no 9-5pm organisation. CAGE have been available, sometimes working until early hours of the morning on my husband’s case, whenever I have needed their assistance. Their considerable support and commitment have made a situation which would have been overwhelming for me, easier to deal with by Allah’s Mercy. They have provided me with legal, emotional and practical help tirelessly throughout this difficult time. May Allah reward them in this life and in the next inshallah.” Ali Adorus’ wife.
JazakumAllahu khairan for your support. It is due to people like you that we are able to continue to stand up for justice and be a voice for the voiceless. Thank you for helping us to assist victims of the War on Terror.
“Verily those who give sadaqah, men and women, and lend Allah a goodly loan, it shall be increased manifold, and theirs shall be an honourable good reward (Paradise)” [57:18].